Monday, November 14, 2011

Mom and Dad are coming home!

My Mom and Dad are coming home from a mission from our Church. They have been in Palmyra New York for the last 18 months. It is interesting the process it took to get them on a mission and us in Idaho. Now that I look back, I can't believe all the blessings that transpired on our behalf.

#1 - I got fired from my job. This was interesting because I had not planned to leave the job for a little while because I wanted to keep my word. I had stated that I would be there for 5 years. The timing of it was very interesting because I was miserable at the job. All these people I worked with turned into a very cold people. My interaction with them became very awkward. So being fired, although a blow to my ego, was a true blessing. I could then look to the future and make some very important decisions.

#2 - My mom called me early one morning and asked if we would come to Idaho and live in their house. She had talked to my Dad and they discussed going on a mission. Now my parents wanted to go on a mission and with our circumstances what they were, it became the perfect opportunity for them to do so. We would come and take care of their house and they could go and serve with no problems. I don't think they would have gone under different circumstances. They would have not have felt comfortable with renting their house, or leaving their house vacant.

#3 - I had always thought it would be great to work at BYU-Idaho. I had set a goal a while ago that I would do just that. However, as I moved away, got married, and started a family, I thought that was more of a wish than anything and never thought it would actually happen. When my mom called about coming back to Sugar City I turned my efforts to finding a job in Sugar City or Rexburg. I contacted some old friends. One of them was Robyn Bergstrom. She was the mom of one of my best friends growing up, Angie Bergstom. Well, it just so happened that they were looking for a one-year hire to teach visual media. This was perfect because I loved visual media. I interviewed for the job and got it. So having a job and a place to live I could now support my family again.

#4 - We moved to Sugar City and we really enjoyed the close contact with mom and dad. But as they put in their papers and we waited for a reply we felt like we were living on top of each other. We had some of our stuff, and they had their stuff and it was really chaotic. We even thought about renting a house until they were gone because of the chaos. We didn't know when the call fro them to leave would come and how long they had to prepare for their mission; 3 months, 6 months. It wasn't my parents, nor was it us. It was just the feeling like we were living on top of each other. It was weird for my parents because we had moved some of our stuff in. It was like they were in their house, but it wasn't their stuff. And for us it was like using our stuff in somebody elses house. We looked into getting another place to live and we had a house all set up and all we had to do is make the commitment. I was about to make the phone call when both Heather and I looked at each other. Although it would have been better for my parents and us, we felt it wasn't the right thing to do. So we waited. It just so happened that my parents got their mission call that week. And to top it off they had to leave in 10 days. It was a crazy time getting them ready to go, but we were so glad we didn't get that other place to live because it would have been a nightmare having a place to live and paying for two others; rental house and house in Iowa.

#5 - It was just the perfect situation. We stayed in their house and kept it up and maintained. My parents went on their mission not having to worry about their house. To top things off, Heather and I still had our house in Iowa. We did get a wonderful renter in the house, but it was very unlikely that he would want to buy the house. We thought for sure it would sell shortly after we left. But the longer we waited the less likely it seemed to sell. As the time started marking closer to my parents coming home, we had to make some major decisions. My parents were worried about us too. They thought that we should stay in their home and when they come home they would rent an apartment. We started looking for places around that we could rent and we found that with our mortgage payment in Iowa with our renter we could afford to rent a place. But if we lost our renter, then we couldn't afford to rent. It was an interesting situation. Well, Robyn Bergstrom had a house they just moved out of in Sugar City. They moved to Rexburg and she had asked us to stay in their house over the winter. I told her our situation and she said that we could pay whatever we could afford. It was the perfect situation. Well, the perfect situation became even better. There was a family in Sugar City that wanted to buy the Bergstrom's home, but they needed to sell theirs first. We tried a few things to help them sell their home, but nobody was buying. Bergstrom's decided to buy the home, they basically did a house swap. We were then going to rent from the Bergstrom's a nice 4 bedroom house, 3 bath, and good location. They felt it was a good deal for them because they would have good renters in their home and not have any worries. We were making plans to move of our parents house and into the Bergstroms newly bought house when we get a phone call from our realtor in Iowa. There was someone interested in our house. The timing was impeccable. We sold our house, moved into the Bergstrom's newly purchased home, and got ready for Mom and Dad to come home.

Miracles. I can't tell you how blessed we are. There are many other little things that I could write and write and write about. We are so grateful for the blessings that have been bestowed upon our family at this time. I can only see the hand of the Lord in our lives.

Spencer

3 comments:

Russ T said...

Spencer thanks for taking the time to share your stories. They reminded me of how much we all have to be grateful for and that there are many little miracles in our lives that we tend to overlook at times. Also, the road doesn't always start out with what seems like the best of situations but in the end, works for out for our benefit. Hope to see y'all soon! :-)

Cassie and Mark said...

Congratulations on selling your house! The Lord truly is amazing. Thank you for sharing the miracles your family has experienced recently.

Jess said...

You guys are good people, and I am so happy to hear all the wonderful miracles that have happened for you. Sometimes, things we think are trials do turn into be great blessings. I wish we could see you guys, but glad I could catch up on here and see things are going so well! Love and miss you guys :)