Monday, February 18, 2008

a n u p d a t e . . . f i n a l l y

The Haackes are doing great. The new year has brought many news and for Jeremy many firsts.

1. Jeremy started eating food. It all started when we went out to a restaurant and he just went nuts. He wanted our food not his "gross" bottle. Heather and I had to take turns taking him outside and walking around while the other one quickly ate. It was like clockwork, every time we brought him inside he could smell the food and would go nuts. So we started off feeding him rice and oatmeal, you know the normal baby formula stuff and he liked it for about two weeks, now he hates pureed food so we feed him bits and pieces. He is starting to become a much better eater but he takes after his mom and is a picky eater. However, if you make him a grilled cheese he can almost eat the whole thing.

2. Jeremy started to talk. His first word was "good." Heather would tell him that he was a good boy and he would mimic
her. He didn't know what he was talking about but he could say it. Spencer claims he has my southern accent but I think that is wishful thinking.

3.
Jeremy's first Halloween.
This was kind of fun. At our church we do a trunk or treat. Everyone comes and dresses up and decorates their trunk. We decided to do a football theme. Heather ran across my old football jerseys in my stuff. Heather and I went as football Players and Jeremy went as the football. We made goal posts and hooked them to our car. it was quit fun and everyone loved Jeremy's costume.


4. Christmas was a wonderful time. We traveled to Virginia to be with Heather's Family and Jeremy loved it. He had so much fun opening new toys, but the thing he loved the most is all the paper. He is obsessed with paper. It was fun to see him ignore his toys and go for the paper. He got tons of hats because his grandparents are afraid we live in the middle of the tundra and they're right.

5. He is now walking, Jeremy is consistently taking 4-5 steps right now but he has walked across the whole room. Heather and I will toss something he wants back and forth and he will walk back and forth between us. We are mean parents, we play keep away from our 9 month old. He loves it though. When he first started out his head was his landing gear, but he is getting much better and has learned to catch himself with his arms. In addition to being able to walk, I think he is going to be a mountain climber. He is climbing a bunch of things now. He doesn't get too far, but he is still going through the motions. Here is a picture of him climbing into a box.


6. This is his first winter and I have to admit that it has been a kick in the face with a steel toed boot (Spencer's elegant phrase). Well, maybe not that bad. Here in Iowa for a couple months in a row it has been consistently below 20 degrees and often found its way into the negatives. Heather and Jeremy rarely go out because it is so cold. They sit at the window and watch me shovel the drive. (I make note now, that Heather did come help a few times when J was down for a nap).


7. Waive Bye Bye - Jeremy is starting to wave bye bye. Whenever I go to work in the morning I will waive bye bye to Heather and Jeremy. Heather would show him how to do it. It didn't make sense to him for some reason. Finally, while we were at church it connected. At ward conference we were sustaining the leaders of our ward, stake and general church leaders and we would raise our hands in support. He thought everyone was waving and he started waiving with us, but he was doing the open and closed hand like we do when we say bye bye in the morning. He was just waiving to everyone even after the sustainings were over.


It is such a blessing and joy to watch all of his new achievements.

11 comments:

shay said...

HI,
I just have to comment that the winters here in Iowa shouldn't be as bad as it has been this year! This year as been 10 times worse than the other 3 years combined! I hope you have a more normal winter next year! (We'll be gone!)

:) said...

Hey Spencer and family, (this is Natalee (Smith) your annoying old neighbor by the way.) I found your blog through Spence and Shay's. I love to read about your family. Your little boy is so cute. Hope that you all are doing great! Hope you don't mind me being a blog stalker. :)

Kim said...

Haha, this must be the Smith family reunion! I just saw that you commented on our blog! Thanks :) Comments are always welcome. Your little boy is SO cute!
We just moved to Denver this year, Jeff and Benson bought a business here so we will be in for an adventure! But so far we have LOVED Denver, much more than I ever expected. Now that we have your blog we will add it to our links thanks!

Ty and Annie Tanner family said...

Hi Spencer! Its Annie Tanner (Kesler)! How are you? Long time! I stumbled across your blog from Stacey Jensen's. You have a beautiful family and it sound like life is great! Go ahead and check out our blog!

Annie

meg said...

I just wanted to let you know that if you wanted an invite to my blog, email me your address so I can give you the invite. I changed over to a private blog pretty quick and realized that i left a lot of friends out because I do not have email addresses. My email is my first and last name all lower case no spaces @ gmail.
Thanks!
Maegan Hymas

Brushdragon said...

These are great pictures! Ya know I just asked my wife about doing a family blog the other day. She is a bit leary about the idea...personal info and all. I have been meaning to put a little more than just my artwork there though...although it is more of the low end business blog. I am thinking of a family blog is the answer however, and if you would like a quicker update I could easily email you. charles.shaun@gmail.com is my email.
Oh, and the first "real" food my son Taylor sunk his teeth (gums?) into was a peach. WOW, that was a show!!! It was fathers day campout too, so everyone got to see his reaction. Kids are great. Take care bro. Later

Brushdragon said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Stacey Jensen said...

Wow, Jeremy is a cute little kiddo. He looks adorable in his blue and brown jammies. Sounds like lots is going on with you and I am glad it is good. Take care.

Angie Miller said...

What a cute kid, guys! I love reading about how much he is growing!

Anonymous said...

Hi... um you don't know us and I don't expect that you will have any idea who we are... lol.... but I came across your blog and found it too much of a coincidence that we are the Haackes too. So... I just thought that I would say hi and see if you knew how we might be related?

:) said...

Way past time for another update. Plus, I need your e-mail so I can invite you to my blog. Tell Todd Hi! :)